Practice Areas| Publications | About Patti Jones | Testimonials | Blog | Contact
Patti Jones is distinguished for her extensive background in music and her work with young people in the performing arts. A former music educator, choral conductor, director of musical theatre productions, professional singer, and published author, she combines her passion for music and entertainment with the law, advising a diverse roster of international clients from this unique and singular perspective.
During her legal education at Suffolk University Law School, she worked in the Legal/Business Affairs Department at PolyGram Records (now Universal), New York and on high profile music projects in Boston. Establishing her practice in 1993, she signed her first recording artist to A&M Records in 1995.
She has subsequently secured deals and negotiated transactions for clients with major and independent music record labels, publishers and media companies, including Sony, Warner Music Group, Disney/Hollywood Records, Roadrunner Records, BMG/RCA, Warner Chappell Music Publishing, and MTV. She has also worked with established record producers, songwriters, personal management companies, concert promoters, business managers and booking agents.
Her entertainment practice has since evolved to include clients in all entertainment sectors, including the television and film industries and book publishing. She has most recently represented several “reality show “personalities,” television show creators and producers and directors of internationally distributed independent films and several children’s books authors.
A published author in her own right, Patti Jones’ critical biography on the legendary blues/jazz/singer/songwriter Mose Allison “One Man’s Blues” was published by Quartet Books, London in 1996.
She continues to write regularly on copyright issues involving music, has provided expert analysis on the use of music to major advertising agencies, serves as adjunct faculty in Entertainment Law at New England Law/Boston and is former co-chair of The Copyright Society USA, New England.
Patti holds an A.B. in Music and French from Ripon College, Ripon, Wisconsin and a Master’s in Music Education from the Conservatory at the University of Missouri Kansas City. She is fluent in French, has lived in Paris, and is a dual citizen of France.
- Adjunct faculty member and panelist at the New England School of Law teaching Entertainment Law from 2002 to present
- Faculty panelist at Suffolk University Law School teaching both NAVIGATING THE COMMERCIAL WORLD and THE MUSIC INDUSTRY TODAY in Advanced Legal Studies in 2006
- Judge 2005 & 2006
WBCN Battle of High School Bands
- Co-Chair, The Copyright Society USA New England Chapter, 2010-2012
- Panelist- Licensing, the Sequel, The Intellectual Property Lecture Series at Suffolk University Law School, November 8, 2010
- Panelist, 3rd Annual New England ADR & the Law Conference 2011, October 24, 2011
- Panelist, WilmerHale and Cathedral High School, Boston, Career Day, 2010, 2012
- Other speaking engagements: Boston Bar Association, Berklee College of Music, Suffolk University Law School, New England Law/Boston
- PodCast | Lexis/Nexis, Music Industry Law Page
- Podcast | Suffolk University Law School
- Guest lecturer, Framingham State University, Copyrights in the Graphic Arts, 2011, 2013
- Volunteer Attorney, Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts, Boston